Within the home improvement/building products industry, online share of home improvement purchases has moved a bit more deliberately, reaching roughly 5% penetration last year. Home Depot exceeded 6% of its sales sold online while Lowe’s now has just over 4% of its sales online.
Last year, our annual eCommerce survey highlighted an inflection in the influence of online research within the customer’s path to purchase for home improvement projects. Notably, our research outlined that homeowners estimate 29% of all home improvement purchases were “determined” online, up 7 points from our survey in 2016.
During the 60 minute webinar, we revisited the key changes from our annual Pro, DIY, and eCommerce path to purchase surveys. We also answered the following questions:
- How quickly will eCommerce penetration grow in Home Improvement over the next 5 years?
- What digital tools are Pro and DIY customers using in their path to purchase?
- Which retailers are best positioned to win share online and where should you focus your investments over the next 3 years?
- How are customers using Amazon within the home improvement project path to purchase?
Additionally, our team discussed key inflections identified through our work including:
- Highlights from our recent conversation with home improvement executives
- New merchant strategies presenting incremental opportunities for strategic partners
- Key action items and best practices for you to execution in your business in 2018 and beyond
This webinar is best positioned for Homecenter team leads, NAMs, category managers, and others calling on Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, and Amazon as well as members of other retail teams that have interest in, compete with, or are looking to sell into these channels.
About the CRC Home Improvement Team
Mark Herbek, Founding Partner & Executive Director, Home Improvement Council
Mark Herbek is a founding partner and the Executive Director of Home Improvement Research at Cleveland Research Company. Mark has spent the last 15 years analyzing the home improvement and building products industry (Pro, DIY, and eCommerce), specializing in identifying inflections to help vendors grow more profitably and better navigate the constantly evolving customer purchase decision process.
Matt Leiser, Director, Home Improvement Council
Matt Leiser is the Director of Home Improvement Council at Cleveland Research Company. Prior to joining CRC, Matt worked at Target Corporation in Minneapolis, where he developed a passion for mass retail over eight years in a variety of merchandising and management roles within Apparel and Accessories, Health and Beauty, Grocery and Home Improvement.